Sunday, 14 October 2007

A Gift from Beyond

I knew it would be difficult for Jim to leave. He lived in this house for 82 years. He was born in this house. He brought his wife back here after they married and they went on to spend 49 years of marriage within these walls. Her energy seeps from the ancient stones, bringing with it various aromas of cooking and scents. I have met her several times in the six years I have lived here. She passed in February 1998. I always wondered if she waited for her husband, intending to take him onto another place where they would spend eternity together, their wedding vows forever promised. It came as no surprise therefore, when I spent the best part of Friday in Jim's old bedroom, hoovering the new carpet, wiping down walls and reflecting on the six years in which I knew him. I had to keep stopping my chores as Jim spoke to me once again, laughing at me as was his way. I placed an old chair outside the bedroom door while I hoovered, red velvet upholstery lining the seat. He used to enjoy watching me as I worked, my domestic interest was very minimal and it was somewhat of a novelty for him to see me cleaning. As I cleaned near the doorway, leaving the door open slightly, I saw a figure, standing in the hallway. My neck creaked as I turned my head in haste, desperate to catch the manifested spirit.


Jim left a few jars of spare change in his wardrobe. He had saved it for many years and always told me about it, asking me to help him sort it out should I ever find the time. When I first moved onto the farm, in the days when I laughed with Jim, we both sat at the kitchen table one afternoon and sorted through a container of copper coins. That was one of the nicest memories I have of Jim. We sat for three hours, talking and laughing; I told him about myself; he told me about himself. The money we counted came to about £35 and he insisted I keep it and spend it on Amy.


On Friday afternoon, after the cleaning had been done, I sat on the floor in Jim's old bedroom and emptied the coins onto the floor. Jim and I counted them together. We still have much to sort through but that simple chore brought back a rare beautiful memory. I asked Jim to find me another 20p. He did. I told him about the plans I have for his bedroom and how lucky he was to have spent 82 years living where I refer to as Heaven. He always said he never noticed the amazing panoramic views or the peacefulness of the surrounding landscape. As I counted that money, I decided I would spend it on a present for Amy. A gift from Jim. He would have liked that.


On Friday night, the farmer, Amy and myself were in my bedroom. We were talking and watching television at the same time. Spending quality family time together, a rare occurrence in the days of harvest. My daughter astounds me on a daily basis, however, she once more innocently divulged a gentle tale from nowhere, her mind wandering between colouring books and Sponge Bob. "Your mum is Joyce, isn't she, dad." It was a statement, not a question. We both looked at Amy with her head down, concentrating on her latest picture. "How do you know that?" I asked. "She told me," came the reply.


As I took Amy to bed that night I wondered if Joyce had been to see me that afternoon as I cleaned the new spare room. I wondered if it was her that I had seen at the doorway rather than Jim. And I wondered if she had been sat at the kitchen table with us nearly six years ago when Jim and I counted £35 in change. I feel Jim may be grounded in this house. I also feel Joyce may be too. It is quite sad that they feel they have to reside here, even in their life of freedom, but when the time comes, I ask myself, would I want to leave this wonderful place? This is, after all, Heaven.

31 comments:

  1. Beautiful.
    Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Is that why you call yourself Crystal Jigsaw as Amy could be a Crystal child?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely. I'm sure they are both there with you all.

    Cx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful Crystal. I'm sure they both still pop back from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My grampie said he could see his mother waiting for him as he died. I believe our loved ones do wait for us and make our passage easier.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We all need our little slice of heaven.
    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quite an experience, Crystal. Childrens minds are receptive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am curious about Casdok's question too. It is so nice when you feel those you love with you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so beautiful Crystal. I believe darling Amy may have your inner powers and thoughts, if so truly a blessing. How could you leave that House, with all it's family connections into maybe a glorious after-life, heaven indeed.

    Camilla.xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Leatherdykeuk - Glad you enjoyed it.

    Casdok - I have suspected Amy of being a Crystal Child for some time. This is a very complex subject and perhaps one I shall blog about in the near future. Telepathy features high with Amy but I have to remember that she is autistic. Crystal? Most likely but could you imagine the outcry when it came to the statementing process?!

    Cathy - Hmmm, I am sure they are too.

    SM - Typical isn't it!

    DJ - I have known that often to be the case.

    Maddy - we certainly do.

    Elizabethd - It was actually a lovely experience even though Jim and I found it difficult to get on.

    Marla - Hope I can answer your question soon. Love? That was debatable.

    Camilla - I could never leave this house. My soul will rest here forever.

    Thank you for all your comments, Crystal xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like mother, like daughter. A very pretty story, Crystal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my goodness. the hair is prickling the back of my neck.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I imagine he is still sitting there watching you work and laughing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So beautiful! It really is your slice of heaven, right here on earth. You are in very good company, and I do believe Amy could be a Crystal child. So beautiful.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful story.

    By the way, I've nominated you for a smile award.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It's lovely to think they are still around Crystal. Love the image of the chair placed for him to sit on xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. CJ: I think it's wonderful that the spirits you see and sense are so loving, not at all like in the movies and stories. What is a Crystal child?

    ReplyDelete
  18. magic and all that change too!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kaycie - Perhaps like mother like daughter, you could be right.

    Laurie - Is it a nice feeling?!

    Dgibbs - Laughing definitely! He thought half the things I did were a joke.

    Eileen - Yes, I found this place a long time ago, I wrote a blog about my journey here.

    Flowerpot - It was actually quite moving at the time.

    Marie - Thank you so much for the award.

    Pipany - They are very much around.

    SEMum - Indeed!

    Wakeup - I will explain what a Crystal Child is in a future blog - it's quite lengthy.

    Muddyboots - Oooh I know! There's a lot more than I first thought and I can't wait to take it the bank! They will probably faint when they see how much weighing they have to do!!

    Thank you for all your comments, Crystal xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. I still struggle with these inhabitants of your house. I don't know if I'd be able to take it. And it's so easy for you. I wish I could be so accepting, but I think I'd be afraid. Or annoyed. You're amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful post! And fitting this time of year...

    ReplyDelete
  22. How beautiful. Every so often, I wish for a visit from someone I knew who passed on, but I never know if they come to call. Sometimes i think they might, but then life sweeps me along, and I think I miss the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  23. You make something that is potentially scary sound so comforting.What a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Amazing accounting of the human spirit. Sometimes I think that those who believe that death is the end of the spirit haven't yet experienced what you've described. My mother is as present today, in many ways, as she was when she walked the earth. It's a comforting thing to me to know that she still is engaged with the lives of those of us she cared about. Thanks so much for sharing your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Spoooooky!
    When I was a teen I used to hear my grandad telling me things...there's more things on heaven and earth etc. and that comforts me I think!

    What a fantastic post Crystal.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Crystal, re the Scrap thing, I spoke to my mum and she said he sometimes went to scrap yards for spare parts for cars but not very much. As I went to write this I remembered he took me to a huge scrap yard one time, I must have been about 8 and he made me stand at the gatehouse because it was too dangerous for me to be there, I didn't like it there, being left alone. Perhaps I'm reading to much into this. But thanks, you are opening my mind x

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a beautiful experience, and what an amazing daughter you have! Thanks for sharing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Glad you've got some happy memories of him too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I try my best to reply to each one individually.