Thursday, 3 January 2008

Amy's Birthday!


Happy Birthday to my beautiful Amy. She is eight years old today and I still can't work out where those years have gone. A time for reminiscing about labour pains and dirty nappies, getting no sleep and feeling as though the world is against you. But considering the last week I have had I would much prefer to write about the wonderful child that I brought into the world at 2.47pm on Monday 3rd January 2000, weighing 7lb 11oz. After coming to terms with the fact that I had actually given birth to a healthy baby girl and not an elephant I sat up to see a huge male nurse sat between my legs with a knitting needle and a rather strange expression. That was when the fun started. It suddenly hit me that this motherhood lark was indeed for real and I had to grow up very fast indeed.

I had lived and done most of the things I had then wanted to do. I had, however, no idea that my life was to take the biggest turn it would ever take as I was given a swathed baby as my reward for the 36 hours of labour that I had since endured. Life as I knew it, became life as I know it now. Wonderful, rewarding and full of love. Unconditional love. More love than I ever dreamt I was capable of giving or receiving.

During the first eighteen months of Amy's life, we moved three times. I tried hard to create a family unit, give her the mum and dad she would one day look up to. But it wasn't meant to be, not with her own father anyway. Fortunately, the farmer was waiting around the corner, offering us that security and a trusting father figure.

I could go on all day about the last eight years. So much has happened. Good, bad, traumatic, ecstatic. But I think I have told you so much since I started blogging that I really don't want to repeat myself. What more is there to say? You all know Amy is my life. She is my world. She is my one and only child and I would do anything for her. So I just want to say that as my daughter celebrates her eighth birthday today, laden with gifts, I celebrate eight years of a life changing experience and I look forward to the many more which are undoubtedly to come and which I will have the pleasure to blog about.

32 comments:

  1. Woo hoo! Many more happy birthdays to Amy :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's such an emotional day, isn't it, when your child has a birthday. Memories of the birth always coming rushing to the surface - I always find myself getting a bit tearful.
    Hope you and Amy both have a great day anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday Amy! Have a lovely time all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday to your wonderful little girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A happy birthday to Amy, and a well done to her mother. I think you made her a very nice family indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Amy, you share your day with my grandson. A very happy day indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday to Amy (that sea in the background looks fantastic) TFX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy it all Crystal - all of you deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy birthday Amy! Hope you all have a wonderful day!!
    Cas and Cxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday Amy!!!!!! You are such a great pair! Have a fun day together.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 36 hours of labour? Blimey I'd have needed 8 years to get over that! I only arrived at the hospital - both times - an hour before my girls were born!

    Hope Amy has the bestest day in her life! Make the most Crystal - I have a nineteen year old sitting next to me, the years flash past.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A very happy birthday to Amy and many many more happy years to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday to you, Amy. And also to you, Crystal. I hope you make a wonderful day of it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy happy birthday to my fellow January 3rd girl (and I see Jane joins us too Amy). We are a very select group you know! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you everyone, for your well wishes and kind comments. We have had a lovely day.

    Crystal xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday, Amy. I hope you had a great day! xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy Birthday to your beautiful Amy! Your letter to so full of love, it brings tears to my eyes. What a lucky little girl. What a very lucky mom. Pure love. I hope your all have a wonderful day!
    XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  18. happy birthday dear amy!

    i really should remember to pop by more often...i've missed a lot of great posts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. a very happy day to Amy - though I'm afraid I got here a day late!

    ReplyDelete
  20. that picture is a classic--the big smile, the big dog, the wellies, the rough sea.

    happy birthday to little amy! a very lucky girl.

    ReplyDelete
  21. And we shall have the pleasure of reading about it. Glad you had a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hope Amy had a great birthday!

    Love,
    Tina
    xxx

    (btw, your previous post made me well up)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gosh, doesn't it fly by?
    Glad to hear you back on form
    Frog
    x

    ReplyDelete
  24. very touching post - lovely! gorgeous pic too.

    happy birthday to a very lucky little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Crystal, Amy's a lucky girl, but where do you find all the time - to blog as you do, for example?

    ReplyDelete
  26. A belated birthday wish for Amy from me, too!

    Yes, life is never the same when the first one arrives.

    Wish you and your family all the best in 2008, Crystal.

    Fenniexx

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy belated birthday to Amy.
    Is that your labrador in the picture?
    How is Sparky?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I try my best to reply to each one individually.