Monday, 14 January 2008

A little treat for you!

I thought I would let you see the drawings of my new kitchen. They have been so expertly done that this is almost exactly how I envisage the kitchen to look upon completion. We chose red granite worktops and white ceramic sink. We are getting a good old fashioned farmhouse pine table and chairs to go in the middle of the room but will wait until the kitchen is finished. A terracotta tile-look flooring but not chosen yet, earthy coloured tiles for the walls and I have my mind set on a red wall over the Aga.





Dishwasher under the sink and the famous fridge to the right of it. As I have lots of items to display I wanted adequate glass doors in which to show off my heirlooms.




The green range represents our Aga which is currently cream coloured and far too dirty to show on here. Sparky's chair is currently situated to the left of the Aga where, as you can see, a new cupboard will be installed. Sorry, Sparky.

The display cabinet was something I wanted in order to make the kitchen look complete. In the same design as the units it will be in keeping and will again be a glass front double cupboard to show off some of our china, in particular, a tea set which belonged to the farmer's ancestors.

**********************

Amy had a friend stay over on Saturday night. I tried to keep the peace but spent most of my time trying not to listen to the girly banter which gave no resemblance to when I was a child. It is only when we have Amy's friends here that we really begin to realise how socially immature she is. Both girls were excited and happy to be together so I tried to stay out of it as much as possible. They had supper, played a few games, ran about the house screaming blue murder, had a bath, then played quite happily in the guest room where they intended to spend the night together in the double bed. As midnight approached and they were still chatting and playing I became the wicked witch of the North East and split them up. Amy slept with me in my bed while the friend stayed in the double. It did remind me of the many sleepovers I had with Ali when we were the same age. We used to stay up watching Ali's television, watching Betamax videos and chatting until the sun came up. One night I will never forget: it was 2am and we were still talking about what 8 year old girls talked about then, for us it was Charlie's Angels and Blue Peter (Ali will kill me for revealing our secrets). Ali's grandmother lived with her then and slept in the room next door. She knocked so hard on the wall in anger at our making a noise, that the lamp fell off the table and went out. That sent us into fits of giggles for, oooh, about thirty years. We still laugh about it today. Grandma Ella was a lovely soul. But I suppose needed her sleep, like everyone.

I feel that Amy is so lucky to have such loyal friends. This one in particular is terribly patient with her and tries desperately not to lead her astray. Living in such a remote part of the country, driving a car is an essential part of everyday life. I know at one time shanks pony was the only thing available but now that we are fortunate to have wheels to get us from A to B it becomes something of a necessity to own a car. Therefore, for Amy to have friends home it means a car journey. But it is so worth it, to see the child's face beam with pleasure when her friend draw up in their family car on Saturday afternoon is a memory to be treasured. I mentioned taking them both to McDonalds on Sunday but the friend pulled her face. "I don't like McDonalds," she said, much to Amy's disgust. Ham sandwiches won over. Saved me 44 miles worth of fuel and a fiver for the food. Not to mention a feast on junk for myself.

39 comments:

  1. Wow the kitchen looks wonderful!
    So glad that Amy had such a lovely time with her friend. Like you she will have happy memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope the kitchen will turn out the way it looks "architecturally".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your kitchen is going to be quite gorgeous.

    So glad Amy had a wonderful sleepover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great kitchen! Very exciting. I can't believe there is a child out there who does not like Mc Donalds!!!!! Wow! Glad the sleepover went well. We have not had one yet. Just with cousin Christian.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I;m jealous as hell! I want that kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely kitchen. Glad Amy enjoyed the sleepover.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love the clean lines of the kitchen--the light woods, the red granite, the terra cotta floor. it'll be gorgeous.

    will you get a new green aga? that'd be very cool.

    we remodeled 7 years ago. we got formica counters, and i'm thinking in another year or two we'll replace them with something hardier--maybe not granite, but maybe corian or cambria. the new glues they use with formica are emvironmentally better, but they aren't as sticky, and the counter is starting to peel up where it gets warm around the stove.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You must be very excited about the new kitchen and it will be wonderful to have it all in place.

    Aren't sleep overs always a pain in the butt? Kids are always overly excited and can't seem to settle down and go to sleep like regular people.

    It is nice though that your daughter is able to have her friends over to the farmhouse. I get the idea that you live in a rather remote place.

    I have read a lot of your older posts in effort to familiarize myself with you a bit, as I am new here. I have enjoyed myself a lot so far. I will be back every day to see what is new.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the pics of the new kitchen. Kind of reminds me of what I want in a kitchen..assuming Hub & I are able to ever afford a place of our own instead of renting.

    I have to ask though...what exactly is an Aga? Is it a brand of appliances or is it a particular appliance?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kitchen is fab, mine worked out and looks like the plans so I know it will be lovely, colours sound great.

    8 year old banter is nothing like it was when I was 8!! The whole fun is staying up as late as you can and it's only when we become mothers do we fret about the fact the children will be tired and unmanagable the next day. Glad Amy's friend is patient, genuine friends are patient. My son is very patient with his autistic friend and allows him to sit and rub is ear, but if his autistic friends brother was to do that they would fall out I'm sure. We always discuss the issues and meltdowns M has and my son will say but that's just M and accepts he is 'different' I just hope like I'm sure you do that all friends are accepting. Perhaps friends are not the issue but adults.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks very state of the art kitchen but I am concerned about Sparky's chair...!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The kitchen looks great!

    Sleepovers! My children have had their fair share and I still dread them as they never get to sleep and I'm such a light sleeper , any noise keeps me awake or wakes me up. but I still love them to have friends over as it is such fun for them, I used to love having sleepovers as a child/ teen too. Loved reading about yours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very smart one day i will be smart [not me my kitchen ! well.] yes one day i'm dreaming again arnt i ...xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. The kitchen will be fantastic if the drawings are anything to go by. Lots of storage space too. But where will Sparky go??? If he's like our gogs it will be in front of the Aga - and trying to shift them is hard, hard work. (We end up walking round them.)

    Glad Amy had a good sleepover.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How exciting to be having a new kitchen! It looks lovely. Show us the pictures when it's finished.

    I'm glad Amy enjoyed her sleepover too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow what a lovely kitchen you will get! It was well worth waiting. For the floor I would suggest that you take real terracotta (glazed or not glazed) I chose the cheaper concrete tiles some years ago with a terracotta finish but each time a chair is knocked over or something hard falls to the ground it chippes off the terracotta layer and we are left with grey concrete spots.
    Glad Amy had a good time even though you didn't. :-))

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for linking me. I'll return the favor and link you as well. I love expanding my blog roll with good blogs and getting to know kindred spirits. Ciao...

    ReplyDelete
  18. It looks as if it's going to be great, good colour choices too. How did you get the design on the computer? Clever stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the kitchen, it will be wonderful! So bright and happy.

    I loved sleep overs when I was a child. I am glad Amy had a nice time, those childhood memories do last.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  20. Of course the 3D image isn't as good as the real thing should turn out, hopefully!! I don't know how the designer got the image on the computer, clever stuff indeed, but I just scanned the print outs onto my pc.

    Thank you for your comments, Crystal xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. Crystal, You are a woman of many talents and quite a prolific writer, and I am so disappointed to be missing from your list of links.

    Beware the ragwort, paranormal lady! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. What fun for Amy and what an incredible kitchen layout. I hope it turns out the way you want it to be. I'll look forward to "after" pictures when your own touches are present and it looks like home.

    It's an amazing thing for Amy to have found a true and loyal friend at her age. I really hope the two of them remain friends throughout their school careers and beyond. A real friend is so rare.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your kitchen does look fabulous - all that cupboard space - lucky you!

    So glad that your daughter had a wonderful time with her friend. These times are so precious and memorable.

    ReplyDelete
  24. wow that's some kitchen. Looks fantastic! I hope installation is painless:-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. So exciting, Crystal - can imagine it very well, having seen your old one!! Poor Sparky though!
    Glad AMy's sleepover went well - yup, they usually need splitting up to stop the gossiping. Lovely that she has such a good friend.
    jxx

    ReplyDelete
  26. So glad you all seem to like my new kitchen plans! A only hope Sparky will too although I somehow think she might be sulking a while when she watches her beloved chair being carried out.

    Thanks for your comments, Crystal xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. The kitchen looks huge! You could put 3 of mine in there! Glad Amy had a nice sleepover - I never had sleepovers as a child. 8 people in the house sleeping already without adding guests!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ceystal, thanks for the pics. Looks great. Oh, those wonderful carefree childhood days... TFX

    ReplyDelete
  29. Lovely large kitchen. I just couldn't exist in a small kitchen. Looks great and I hope it turns out as good or better than the plans. Where is Sparky going to go though?

    ReplyDelete
  30. A lovely big kitchen Crystal, will look absolutely fab when finished completely.

    So pleased that Amy enjoyed the sleepover, and that she had a lovely time with her friend.

    Camilla.xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. You're very honoured. I haven't even shown the drawings to my mum yet!

    Best wishes, Crystal xx

    ReplyDelete
  32. What an incredible kitchen... can we swap? or do house swap for just a little while?
    Smov x

    ReplyDelete
  33. omgoodness...what a fabulous kitchen.

    friends and smiles...what more can mother and daughter ask for :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Your kitchen is going to be amazing. I have two red walls in my kitchen and love them. Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Kitchen worktops makes your kitchen fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Ah, going for the earthy tones for the kitchen. So how did the kitchen turn out? The drawings here show how well-placed the stuff in the kitchen are, they are well-laid out.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I try my best to reply to each one individually.