Tuesday, 22 January 2008

My book

Having patiently sat in front of my "on it's last legs" printer this morning, I fed through sheet after sheet in order to print off part of the first chapter of my book together with the synopsis. I have spent the last week and a half giving this part of the book a thorough edit until I felt almost happy enough to parcel it off. I read through it over and over, realising that if I kept on changing it I would eventually need to re-write the whole synopsis. I have entered it into a competition with a view to receiving some feedback and hopefully being nominated for a prize. The latter is a lot of wishful thinking but one has to start somewhere. I like the story. I like my main character and have enjoyed editing the first 5,000 words. Writing about what I am most interested in is obviously at significant factor but taking the time to research my subject, often without my control, I have been able to really appreciate the woman who leads us through twelve months of her unusual life.


I felt quite proud as I passed the large brown envelope to the cashier asking her to send it 'Recorded Delivery'. She was even pleasant to me which made it all the more enjoyable. I gave the envelope a little kiss after I had sealed it, asking for a stroke of luck to come my way and perhaps a publisher or an agent to read my work with keen interest, desperate to make contact with me. My dad used to call me "Dilly Daydream" when I was a little girl.


Admittedly, having written the synopsis, I am now finding it easier to tune into my story, knowing what will happen in each chapter. It did change of course, several times before I was satisfied with the final draft. And after the new year, I decided to introduce a love interest for my main character, determined not to make it mushy or indeed explicit. I am hoping my mum will read it one day together with other members of my family and then realise that I am not a nun but am indeed a woman of the world. We never discuss things like sex and other such indulgences so as you see, I need to keep the sexual tension to a minimum.


But of course the story is not really about sex. It is about things that go bump in the night. And that certainly does not cover the subject of sex. In my life anyway. I have thought long and hard about the content of the story, getting to know my characters, becoming familiar with the house in which my main character lives and of course researching various aspects of what will actually make the book tick. Religion features highly, as does death, together with terminal illness. Hell, when you put it like that it sound utterly depressing. I suppose a lot of it is quite morbid, but we all enjoy a bit of variation in our lives and as several of my characters have already entered their next life, I think it might just make for interesting reading.

My mum said she will buy it anyway.

I told myself not to mention the kitchen in this post because I am sure by now you are all bored stiff by hearing about it, but, they have brought the installation date forward. Knowing it was clashing with the lambing, they have booked us in for the 25th February which means, all being well, we should have a nice newly fitted kitchen by the time lambing starts around mid March. I won't tell you I'm excited.

40 comments:

  1. Crystal, I will keep my fingers firmly crossed for you on both the book and kitchen front. TFX

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done for sending off your first part of your book. How exciting!! (and so is the kitchen!!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes! So glad the kitchen has been moved forward. That must be a huge relief. I hope you can share some photos of the lambing. I have no idea what that is like. A lot of work, I am sure!

    I am so excited for you with turning in the book! That is great that you gave it a little wish kiss. Very cool. I have a good feeling about it. From what I have read it seems very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's wonderful, Crystal. I can hardly wait to hear what happens with your book. And the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. CJ: I wish you well in both getting your book published and your kitchen finished by lambing time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck and prayers for your book being published, although I am sure you will not need them.

    I think you had a post or 2 with some material from your book and it was simply gorgeous.

    Love,
    Suzy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Greetings. Good luck with the competition. I have so much admiration for anyone with the creativity to write a novel. All I can write about is facts, facts, facts!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I bet you are SOO excited! I am for you;0)Will you be taking pictures of the kitchen?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Crystal,

    Wishing you the best of luck with the book. Your writing is superb, you have a wonderful way of expression. I have no doubt that your book is hauntingly beautiful and is a real page-turner.

    Exciting news about new kitchen, just in time for lambing season, well done Crystal.

    Love Camilla.xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, you have two things to be excited about, the book and the kitchen. Do you manage to sleep at night thinking about it?

    With both these projects, I wish you a lot of luck. I hope both come to full fruition.

    How many sheep do you have and how many lambs do you expect?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Crystal,
    How very exciting for you to be sending off the first part of your book. I am so very happy for you. I just know you will get positive feedack on your material.

    I am so glad the kitchen date has been moved forward. What a relief that must be for you and your family. The lambing sounds like so much work and you don't need to do both at the same time.

    My prayers and good thoughts are with you, my friends.
    XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so excited for you and sent a good luck kiss to the envelope too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. good luck!!!! Finger crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. best of luck with the cmpetition, Crystal - let us know how you get on!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I went through what you are going through about 25 years ago. Unfortunately I was spectacularly unsuccessful. It is, apparently, all to do with persistence and I simply gave up after several rejections. Too thin skinned I suppose. So .. massive good luck with the competition.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks you everyone, for your kind comments and positive wishes. I shouldn't hear anything about the competition under April but I have plenty to be going on with in the meantime, like writing chapters 2-10!!

    Best wishes, Crystal xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brilliant! Well done and good luck with the competition.

    ReplyDelete
  18. well done you, quite the thing that is just to send it off. you could spend forever fiddling to make it perfect and maybe damage something in the interim. What's the competition? Or won't you say....

    ReplyDelete
  19. everything crossed here for you - might not be able to continue until April though!

    great news about the kitchen - looking forward to seeing some pix of it. Make sure you take before and after pix.

    Wx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Crystal, I wish you all the luck in the world, and I'd buy it too, no doubt about that!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. A competition that accepts the first chapter? That's lovely! I always here - the book - whole book - and nothing but the book! Sigh..

    ReplyDelete
  22. Well done indeed for getting this far, Crystal. I bet it's a really good read, and I for one am looking forward to hearing good news about the competition and future publishing plans.

    And great news about your kitchen, too - keep us all posted.

    ReplyDelete
  23. wtg crystal, hope you are successful!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good luck, really good luck, Crystal with the Book. You deserve it. And it looks as though the luck fairy has been on target with the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Well glad the kitchen is coming forward ..bet you can hardly wait for the first box with a wet cade lamb to arrive up against that gorgeous aga....the smell of warm wet wool...and other things.....
    wishing you all the best with the book

    ReplyDelete
  26. How incredibly exciting about your book, Crystal. I will think the most positive thoughts I can for you.

    And Yay! on the kitchen dates!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Well best of luck with the book and the kitchen.
    I love writing, and a book is very brave - you're not getting any feedback (like you do with a Blog), until you've poured your soul into it. Well done.
    Anyway, think yourself lucky, I have to wait for the house to be built before I can have a new kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have everything crossed for you, great news about the kitchen, no need to point out the Farm on my journey to London, yours will be the one with the flags flying and the banner reading 'I have a new kitchen' LOL
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. I'm late reading my favorite blogs but I also have "everything" crossed for you!! How Wonderful for you!!! I to, would like to "see" the kitchen!! We're all excited for you sweetie!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Please have a look at my blog. There is a meme for you.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I wish you the best of luck for your novel, Crystal. I bet it's great.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for all your kind comments on my book blog. I'm really excited about it and hope something will come of me entering the awards.

    Best wishes, Crystal xx

    ReplyDelete
  33. Very best of luck. I hope you're nominated and win, too. How exciting for you.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Good luck and I'm glad they've been able to bring the kitchen forward.

    ReplyDelete
  35. oh very good luck. i look forward to seeing the word count in your side bar rising and hope its climbing happily and effortlessly and without too many deep sighs and use of the backspace key ...

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hi Crystal - exciting news about the book. You will be SO chuffed when the kitchen is done - ours was fitted last week and I am still going in to look at it every 5 minutes and grinning like a kid!x

    ReplyDelete
  37. Well done on getting it finished. That in itself is quite an acheivement. Best of luck in the competition.

    ReplyDelete
  38. sending all good wishes and vibes for the book as it wends its merry way!

    good news about the kitchen too!

    NMO x

    ReplyDelete
  39. Along with everyone else, I'll cross my fingers that someone in a position to help you make your dream come true takes an interest in your chapter and synopsis. Best of luck...sorry, I've only just read your posting, and I hope your cold is getting better. Mootia x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I try my best to reply to each one individually.