Friday, 9 May 2008

Snowy Picture

To look at him, you would think he was quite jolly. Once he spoke, I realised he was just after something for nothing. One of the farm holiday cottages was booked out to a man and his dog. They arrived alone and settled in. I noticed he spent the mornings away and the rest of the day at the cottage. He came to the house the other day, asking to use the phone. He offered to pay for the call so I didn't mind too much that he hadn't bothered to use the pay phone in the cottage. I also thought he might have been wanting some company. It so happened that his television had gone off. Most likely a problem with the mast, not uncommon I hasten to add. But when he started to insult my home and the surrounding area I was none too happy. "It's boring round 'ere," he began. "There's nuthin' to do and now me telly's broke." I said "Oh, it's not that bad really, we have amazing beaches and the scenery's incredible." I pointed towards our magnificent view of which he pulled his face at and continued,"bet it gets right lonely in the winter. I cudn't live up 'ere, I'd die o'boredom." I said goodbye and went inside. I never did take any money for the phone call. But I did wonder why he'd bothered to spend £400 on a week's holiday cottage only to sit inside from lunch time every day watching t.v. Apart from which the weather has been glorious this week. I would hate for him to come when it was raining. He left on Wednesday. Three nights of his accommodation paid for and not used. If only one could chose who stayed in their holiday cottages.

23 comments:

  1. Sounds like a rather silly man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pft! You got his money, that's all that matters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad how some people don't appreciate the beauty that is all around them. Or can't see it at all. His loss.
    XOXOX

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes things aren't what they seem....why on earth would someone choose noisy over sedate surroundings...With an ocean!! Beats me!lol...Happy night sweetie!!hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  5. That guy is nuts! I would give anything to have a vacation where you live! I would love to live where you live.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an idiot! Northumberland is spectacular. He must be blind or stupid or both! I must get details of your cottages one day. I'm sure hubby would love a week there (with Jakey too).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I still wonder whether the guy was just lonely and wanted a bit of company. But I can't stand people insulting my home. I wouldn't go anywhere and insult someone's home.

    Thank you for your comments, Crystal xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Crystal you just couldn't make it up could you. We very nearly didn't put a TV in because we thought why would people come all this way and be surrounded by all this beauty to stare at TV.

    I always feel for people like your guest it is there loss and actually end up feeling sorry for them that their lives are such that they cannot see the beauty of where they are.

    In contrast we have just had some wonderful guests leave who couldn't praise us and the area and Scotland enough . . . I will send them your way . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. If it wasn't for the TV bit I would have thought perhaps he was spending the afternoon's writing but obviously not! What a strange person!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds like a man who would have been unhappy anywhere he went.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think you should send a wuestionaire to potential visitors and vet tehm!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh for goodness' sake. What a miserable git. Why didn't he go to Butlins if he wanted entertainment?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Zinnia - Butlins! what a good idea. If, heaven forbid, he ever comes back, I shall suggest Butlins to him!

    Thanks for all your comments, CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. I rather suspect that man would not find joy anywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Zinnia Cyclamen has said it all..

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think the man was obviously very lonely, but cannot understand why he would book a holiday just to watch TV.

    Camilla.xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a sad individual! I thoroughly agree - why pay all that to just sit inside and watch TV? I always call Northumberland "God's country" because to me, it is just as God made it - wild and free, unspoiled (mostly) and so beautiful in it's naturalness. What is boring about that?
    Silly man...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Some people it has to be said are seriously strange! He could have stayed at home with just the same results!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I try my best to reply to each one individually.