Friday, 23 October 2009

A Step in the Book

I managed to crack on with my book this week. Got the word count upto over 61,000. I can almost see an end, a little light at the end of the tunnel, the twist and the mysterious ghosts at last revealing themselves. I'm actually quite excited about it now, having gone through a stale few weeks of wondering if I shall ever finish it, and now realising that it is, after all, within my reach. I did aim to have it finished by the end of this year, before the Christmas holidays begin, taking January to read through it several times until I am sure it's ready to present to a hungry agent. But I am in no way ignorant to the fact that publication is hard to find and I realise the difficult part will begin once this process takes hold. It would have been wonderful to have a publisher lined up, a company all ready to accept my work and have it available for all to read. But, unlike my ghosts, I live in this life. It could take years, and I know I have to be prepared for that possibility. Which is why I shall submit short stories to magazines in the meantime. Who knows, I may even have time to write another novel whilst waiting for Spirits of Rosehill to be accepted. Here is an extract for you, a scene in which Camilla ventures into the cellars of the house, beckoned by an unknown entity:


Plaster peeled from ancient walls, once applied with a loving hand, perhaps once admired by proud eyes. A small heap lay upon concrete floor; damp, forgotten. Visible patches of stone greeted me as I touched its crumbling walls, my fingers excavating years of standing decay. Tiny paw scurried beside by feet, a desperate wish for freedom, a life still to live. Cobwebs wrapped around my hair, tearing strands whilst I trailed a long ago creature from sleep. Steps almost gave way beneath me, clear danger looming should I have lost control. My hand needed to grasp for safety, a rail of aged wood and early craftsmanship. Descent to darkened rooms in trepidation, the unknown as was always my existence. I had learnt not to fear, to look forward with challenging mind, embrace with anticipation. With flickering candle I made my journey, a short wait before the unknown would be familiar territory. From days gone by I could feel my thoughts drowning in residual energy, a possession becoming too close for comfort, too many spirits vying for my attention. I wanted only one. Yet I was not sure which one. I knew my heart rested with a male entity, I knew he once lived in this house. My frustration played on my ever potent mind but I was drawn, beckoned by a force too strong to resist. My destination would soon become clear, light would shine upon perishing rooms and my eyes would see the love which continued to overwhelm me. Just a few more steps to take. More deterioration from an unoccupied space. I wanted to know who sought me from the depths of Rosehill; which soul still lived to protect me in my home; and why.


I arrived in the first room, a large pantry, shelved and mouldy. The open door clung to a hinge, determined not to fall to plaster-ridden floor. Two square sheets of glass at the top, thick with dust, dark brown wood flaking, woodworm having lived within for too many years. Old and murky bottles stood on a top shelf, cobwebs encased around them. Putrid tins with lid intact, broken glass, rusty pans, all shared space upon shelves, memories recorded by servants’ hands. The candle continued to flicker, I cupped my hand around its flame, the darkness would have been too thick for me to wander these desperate rooms. More scurrying, orbs, perhaps dust, whispers from another world. I made my way into the next room, a large space filled with a debris littered floor. The room was staggeringly cold, my heavy coat unable to warm me. A small light shone in one corner, alerting me to a possible presence, and my potential find. I transfixed my eyes to the light as it grew, a steadfast glow increasing in intensity whilst arrogantly performing before my eyes. A shape began to appear, a body first, legs following. The light became the figure of a man, to which I felt I had been invited to witness. My breath was evident, my hands were frozen to the bone. I did not feel afraid though I was cautious, the atmosphere adding to my apprehension.


The light now shone against the head of the figure that stood before me, seemingly unwilling to show a face. It was the same outline as the spirit man I had seen often around the house, still shy of allowing me sight of his identity. A little frustration grew inside me as I asked, quietly,“who are you?” I stayed cautious, I did not want spirit to think I was prudent. Spirit will only show themselves if they choose, it is their prerogative.


22 comments:

  1. oh, delicious! do keep us updated for when it comes out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you got any publishers lined up? I heard that it is best to read books of the same type that you are writing and then approach those publishers. I have also heard that writing a clever synopsis is crucial because some publishers only read that and judge by synopsis alone whether to consider a yay or a nay!

    Wish you every success with it and you must let us know when you get it printed!

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful, CJ! Best of luck with it, sounds like a fabulous read. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very exciting, Crystal. Here's to lots of good luck on your part in finding a publisher. That world is fickle you know. You have to keep trying, even after many rejections. It was a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are nearing the end! That is fantastic and much further than most of us get. Your powers of description are tremendous. You surely must get a publishng deal. Maggie is right about the synopsis - grab those guy's attention and you're halfway there. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in awe of your writings and want to read more.. love anything to do with the supernatural..This is really good stuff and should be published..and soon ! I would buy this book ! Good luck .. Doris

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with it CJ. The synopsis is a) a bummer to write but b) all important, as is the covering letter. These are the main selling tools as I'm sure you know. And when you've finished it, it's good to wait at least a month before you start editing - but I'm sure you know all that as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How exciting that the end is in sight. And im sure the advice given here will help you on your way to becoming published sooner rather than later!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's great, Crystal. Really atmospheric. I'm nearing the end of my novel too (I'm editing at the moment). I also need to write a synopsis, and you know how I hate writing them. It'll probably take me ages.

    Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Writing the synopsis was the hardest thing I ever had to do. Good luck with it.

    I just want to say that I was gripped by your words. You took me there, completely. I can't wait to read it all. x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Have you thought to publish it yourself? The EBook thing? I'd buy it NOW! I DON'T Want to Wait till it gets picked by a publisher...HAHAHA...
    I'm spoiled...I throw fits!LOL
    Damn good story Girl!
    I'll see if I can motivate a publisher you "way"....hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful. Shout when it's published.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have no advice. The snippet is great, I was there in the old house, I was hoping the little scurrying feet were mice, I can deal with them, ghostie scurrying feet? not so much.
    GOOD LUCK!! and GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooohhh love it!! Very atmospheric!! Make sure you keep us up to date with how you get on :-)

    C x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks for reading the extract, guys. I like your optimism!

    Love CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do hope you find an agent to take your book on. Or even a publisher. Remember, JK Rowling was taken on by a publisher that had never published children's fiction, but one editor read her book and thought it was worth a chance!

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW! Thanks for sharing a snippet with us. Keep going m'dear the finishing line is in sight, just over that wee hill :-) TFx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh how exciting! Thank you for keeping us updated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. This sounds awesome...you are very talented!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I try my best to reply to each one individually.