Wednesday, 17 March 2010

Spring Steps

The atmosphere differs somewhat to that of a day time ambience; darkness overwhelms the dancing shadows as a moon struggles to break through a cloud soaked sky. The house always feels at peace during the late hours, whispering its gestures to a waiting audience.  I feel like a gatecrasher, standing on the outside of a restful gathering, waiting for a noise to disturb the silence.  Images stand in my view, their gentle pupose reminding me how the black of night can often obscure the purity of day.  Floorboards creak as my beating heart races to out-do the intensity of drowning sound.  Anxious, not scared; looking for something yet unsure as to its identity.

Telling whoever wants to listen about the gentleness of this house, how its arms are constantly wrapped around my family, is one of the things that makes me happy.  I love that I feel safe here, even in the dead of night when the Grandfather clock becomes a ghost standing on the landing in all its beauty.  The daffodils have started to poke through; green stems and tiny yellow buds fighting for exhibition.  They were planted many years ago, when the Farmer was a young boy.  I stood in the yard yesterday and asked Jim, "Did you plant them?".  "Some of them," he replied, as he encouraged me to look towards the rose bush, planted in his memory.

23 comments:

  1. This description makes me feel like I am there with you. Beautifully done, I can feel the serenity:) Jen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think there is something about old homes and their character. MadDads Grans farmhouse was like that full of history and so warming and loving, filled with memoroes

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knoe that feeling. I had it in my house in Ireland. I believed it hugged me every time I walked in the door. Broke my heart to leave it behind. I searched for that feeling when house hunting here in the US, but alas it eluded me.

    Beautiful description of that feeling. Feeling nostalgic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely to be able to feel that safe & cosy.
    Your daffodils are doing better than ours. Everywhere I look the daffodils are in tight buds but will look lovely in a week or two.

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhhhh...love this sweet girl!!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your words seemed to grab me up and float me through your home. I admire your ability to so eloquently express yourself. And ahhh, yes, like others, when can I move in too???

    ReplyDelete
  7. moments that resonate with contentment...

    luv saz x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely post! You have a way with words. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful post. I can almost see the house in my mind's eye now.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I'm still holding my breath... beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Home should always be a happy place! I'm glad yours is.
    Blessings, Star

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your writing is beautiful.

    Hope you got my email xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. I picked my first bunch of yellow daffodils!

    ReplyDelete
  14. that was lovely, I know what you are describing and its awsome, the time I spent on a farm was ideallic, loved it, peace, was fantastic, it was warm here today, spring has arrived xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. A daffodil used to bloom every year next to the driveway to of the barn where we kept our horses. The old man who owned the barn told me that his wife, long dead, had planted it, and every year when it bloomed her felt her presence. He was a curmudgeonly old farmer, not given to sentiment and he too is now long gone from this world, but you have just reminded me of him and her in the nicest way. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful description and post! My little house has that kind of warm character that 'hugs' me and makes me feel all warm inside. :-)
    Thanks for sharing with us!
    Hugs,
    Coreen

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love learning about the character of houses, and the memories that abide therein. You enhanced my day with this post.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Clareybabble - Yes, I got your email and I haven't replied have I... I am soooo sorry. Hands up, honey, I keep forgetting. Promise I will remember tonight.

    Thank you for reading this post, it came to me whilst out in my garden the other day.

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I try my best to reply to each one individually.