Friday, 23 July 2010

Friends on Tap

I remember the summer holidays when I was a child, those long lazy days of sunshine and play, the occasional shopping trip and a visit to a long lost auntie. I grew up on the outskirts of a town, houses everywhere, people standing at bus stops and children tearing along pavements on bikes, never a helmet in sight. We lived in a small cul-de-sac, just big enough to have a game of tennis or a test match as Ian Botham was all the rage. September used to come around all too quickly as new shoes were bought together with an A-line skirt. I try to keep up with some of the tradition being a mum myself now, but Amy simply won't wear an A-line skirt. She doesn't have as many friends as I had back then, but saying that, she has more than I do now. No tissues required, I'm somewhat of a loner.

Times change as we get older, naturally through progress and particularly, in my generation, through technology. The first time I used a computer was when I was 15 and I know some might say I was lucky. Amy was only 5 when she had her first computing experience; I always remember her teacher telling me she was struggling with the co-ordination of the mouse, and I walked away shaking my head at the fact that Amy was only 5 at the time, and was expected to be able to use such a technical instrument. Of course, during my summer holidays, I didn't have access to a computer at home even though my mum had a typewriter of which she let me use. This year's summer holiday will be a little different to past ones with me being unable to drive; apart from being taken for a few days to my mum's in Manchester, we won't be going very far. But just being a part of the farm is a wonder in itself. I sometimes ache for friends and a cul-de-sac for Amy, but this is what she's grown up with, the countryside, the animals, the farm, and of course, a computer.

15 comments:

  1. You're my cul de sac and I'm yours...come visit anytime...the kettle is always on ;-)

    Janet

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you and Amy enjoy your summer on the farm together. It seems like a magical place to spend a vacation. Even if you do live there all year around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in town, but I still find so many friends on line, people who "get" my life. My off-line friends love me, but they don't always understand what raising my girl is like. It's refreshing to chat with people who understand and can laugh with me.

    That is a beautiful castle. My daughter is hungry to see castles right now, so I'm trying to figure out a way for it to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lived in the country and could roam with friends all over the place.
    I didn't even switch a computer on until I was in my sixties! Didn't know how to.
    Times have changed.

    Hope you and Amy enjoy the summer and that she doesn't get bored!
    My youngest granddaughter is telling me that she will miss school and she only broke up today>

    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  5. What you've never known, you cannot miss. I am sure Amy will be wishing what she had in her childhood on her children in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I sounds like Heaven to me!
    Daisy would love it and if she's happy I'm happy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how times have changed. I am more of a loner i my old age too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My brother is older than I am, almost 70, he's had a computer for years to play games, is online this weekend...
    The story of how I got on a computer is legendary...I didn't have a book for dos or any instruction, thought I was hopeless...no time to devote to it...finally my daughter got a windows 95 computer in 96? I thought the kids would make fun of me. Two weeks and I was the whiz kid taking windows off, reinstalling it...I was hooked....I am an extrovert but a loner, does that make sense?

    ReplyDelete
  9. There'll be plenty of kids in inner cities who won't have the faintest idea of what a farm is or what a farm does... I think your child will grow up with a far more rounded and well balanced view of life for her time growing surrounded by the natural world.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had a similar childhood to the one you describe but my poor little Chick doesn't get to play out with the other kids. Partly because we live on a really busy road and partly because I have to work all Summer.

    She would love to roam around on a farm away from all the traffic and I'm sure when Amy is a grown up she wouldn't have wanted it any other way :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is crazy, that my kids can navigate the high tech phones nowadays to find the games and other applications. It is definitely a different age!

    I think growing up on a farm would've been so neat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I grew up in a city, mostly a loner, but learning to entertain myself. Summer did mean summer camp, which meant canoeing, swimming, camping and sailing — things I enjoy to this day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. ah happy days when we had nothing but had the world, xx thanks for your visit dear xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Friends on tap! Spot on! You know where I am hun xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I did both, the cul de sac and the farm and you know something, I have the best memories of the farm. We used to play cowboys and indians in the milking parlour (sans cows) and lots of stuff:) Hope both you and Amy have a great summer. Jen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I try my best to reply to each one individually.