Monday, 3 January 2011

My Birthday Girl

I read many posts about birthdays; our own, our children's, a family member or friend. But today I want you to read about one of the most special days in my life; 3rd January 2000. It was a Monday. At 2.47pm, I brought a miracle into the world when I gave birth to Amy. It was the first and last labour I would ever experience, and if I thought I couldn't bear the pain of a suspected pulled muscle the other day, I had no idea how unbearable the pain of giving birth would be. Excruciating is too mild a word. It is impossible to describe because it is a feeling that we, as women, would go through again and again for the bundle swathed in a blanket that was placed in our arms. Of course I wouldn't want to go through it again. Fortunately, I am unable to physically turn the clock back eleven years, but my unconditional love for Amy meant that the moment she entered our magical world, my life changed forever. We might have been through some ups and downs during these past eleven years, particularly concerning her diagnosis of autism, but believe me, it's all been worth it. And when I look at her beautiful face, when I reach into her heart with my words of "I love you", I remind myself how little pain I actually felt whilst giving birth compared to the love I am now able to experience.

She likes Justin Bieber and JLS, she swoons over Robbie Amell from True Jackson (he's pretty darn hot!) and she asks, "when I'm older will I have a boyfriend?" Questions like this indicate how much she has grown up this past year; how she is starting to see the world in a different light to her imagination surrounding Barbie. It's now become "Barbie and Ken". Of course I am aware of her realisations of growing up; the fact that I can no longer talk to her like she's my little girl, even though, in my eyes, she always will be; and I sometimes miss those earlier years of innocence, of playing with Postman Pat and his black and white cat. But it doesn't matter that I can't turn the clock back. I'll always have those memories and my love for Amy will ensure they are locked in my heart forever. Alongside my little girl.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AMY

50 comments:

  1. Aww, what a lovely post.

    HaPpY BiRtHdaY AmY! x

    I was having a chat with my son on New Year's Eve and he told me he was going to a friend's party (with a box load of alcohol).
    "Make sure you eat something...be careful..." was my advice, to which he replied "I'm almost 22, Mum. I'm not a baby anymore!"
    Of course I told him that he'l ALWAYS be my baby.

    Sigh...I miss postman pat too. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. On the cusp of being a young woman.Happy Birthday Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Birthday - have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday from Australia ..Amy. xxx Gorgeous photo too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Have a very happy birthday, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Birthday Amy!

    She is just beautiful!
    And, even from reading your posts in the last couple of years, I can see how Amy has grown up.
    So, CJ and Farmer, give yourselves a toast to the beautiful girl you are raising! Lots of wonderful adventures await in the coming year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday Beautiful Amy!!!!!

    Janet xox

    ReplyDelete
  8. She is gorgeous , just like her Mum!
    Hooe she is havng a wonderful and happy birthay xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Birthday Amy. Hope that you have a fabulous day xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hope Amy has a fabulous day.
    Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Birthday, sweet Amy!
    Have a wonderful day xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Happy Birthday Amy! You're as beautiful as you are sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh she's so cute! happy birthday to amy <3

    vdcouture

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy Birthday Amy! Hope you have a wonderful day xxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such a pretty young lady now. How fast it all goes. Happy Birthday to your beautiful Amy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy Birthday Miss Amy. She is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy birthday Amy! What a lovely post! x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy birthday!! 11 is such a lovely age

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy Birthday Amy - you look so pretty and smiley in that photo! Hope you have had a super day.

    Faith from Purplecoo

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. She is precious, I would love a girl. Happy Birthday Amy :-)

    Thanks for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ah Happy Birthday Amy! Hope she's had a lovely day x

    ReplyDelete
  22. How we quickly forget the pain of childbirth!! Happy Birthday to Amy. She is growing up fast.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Birthday Amy, what a beautiful girl you are x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Special birthday greetings to Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I wrote a little poem for Amy:

    With a smile like heaven
    A beautiful girl turns eleven
    It's a happy day to celebrate
    So this poem I do dedicate
    To miss Amy Brown!

    Happy 11th Birthday, Amy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Eleven in 2011 can't be a bad choice of numbers! Congratulations, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy Birthday Amy

    Nice post kathryn as ever full of pathos and feeling. My boys are 18 and 22 and I can still remember those toddler days like they were last month. They will remain with you for always.

    Pete xx

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy Birthday Amy.
    Lovely post and a great photo.
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, how beautiful!
    Happy Birthday Amy!
    They grow up too fast!
    Hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy Birthday Amy!!
    She is so lovely!
    And I wish all of you the best for 2011!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Following you back! You have a gorgeous daughter! I hope that her birthday was a wonderful one!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Happy Bday to Amy!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Newest follower from MBC and love this blog!

    Heidi
    http://adventuresofaminnesotamom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. What a wonderful, inspiring and just perfect post. happy Birthday from me and the mini's - we love you too

    ReplyDelete
  34. I just gave you a bloggy award!
    www.recipemoms.blogspot.com
    Have an awesome day!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Awww...so glad I stopped by for such a special post! Happy birthday to your little lady. :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. A Huge Happy Birthday to both you and Amy!! Such a beautiful post..I'm so happy to be a new follower of yours! My youngest daughter has Asperger's..she's now 26 and a simply amazing women, but she'll always be our little Mimi. Have a wonderful day with Amy and enjoy every single second..they grow up so fast!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi! Crystal and Amy...
    I most definitely, second the notion Of "all" the previous commenter...Happy Birthday! Amy, and many more!!!!
    What a very heartfelt, sincere post...
    Crystal, Thanks, for sharing!
    DeeDee ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  38. Oh, Kathryn, what a beautiful daughter you have! It's good that you realize she's maturing, but I also understand that she will always be your little girl. My own daughters are 30 and 28 and they aren't crazy about me remembering their little girlhoods. Keep loving her unconditionally-that's the best kind of love, like God loves us, and sometimes it's the most difficult thing to do. Thanks for following! blessings on your day!

    ReplyDelete
  39. Happiest of Happy Birthdays to you Amy. Lovely name, but so beautiful girl:)

    ReplyDelete
  40. Аренда подмосковье в Петербурге - [url=http://www.peterburgrealty.info/vsya-nedvizhimost/listalpha-12.html]Однокомнатные квартиры посуточно в Петербурге[/url]

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I try my best to reply to each one individually.