Friday, 30 September 2011

One Proud Mum

After only a few weeks at her new school, Amy's musical talent has at last been recognised and she has been chosen to play the piano in the school Christmas play. I am ecstatic with pride because this is something I've felt she has been capable of doing for a long time. She's been having piano lessons for four years now and is incredibly good at it considering she's only eleven. She's never taken exams but that doesn't matter; her ability to play-by-ear has astounded many people and now it seems, has impressed her music teacher, too. I hate to say it but for the two years she spent in mainstream middle school, it seemed her talent wasn't really taken seriously. Apart from her support worker being immensely proud and wanting to encourage her to play for an audience, I was a little bit disappointed when she never got chosen to play solo or even sing on the stage. She was only ever involved in the choir where she would stand at the back, tower over the rest of the kids and look pretty. Her beautiful voice would be shadowed by forty other children.

I'm her mum and I'm biased. But I also know a great voice when I hear one and Amy is one outstanding vocalist. And so it was also with great pride that she told me her and two other girls had been singing in front of the whole school yesterday, on the stage in the main hall. This would have been a massive deal for her and she did admit to feeling nervous. But boy, am I proud. She has been capable of doing this for a few years yet has never been given the opportunity to shine. I will always ask the question why, perhaps I'll never find the answers but naturally I have some of my own. I understand that staff at her other schools were concerned she wouldn't perform on the "night", but they never gave her the chance to prove them wrong. Special school however, has given her that chance and she's made me the proudest mum in the whole wide world not only because of her ability to shine but because this transition is turning out to be one of the best moves I've ever instigated.

30 comments:

  1. Well done, Amy!
    And I would say she is right where she needs to be in her schooling and life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations to Amy - and she is now in the right place!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations :) You have every reason to be proud and your story made me proud.

    I'm not going to comment on the whole mainstream/special needs school thing though, it'll just turn into a rant.

    Well done Amy :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray! I'm punching the air. Congratulations Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's brilliant news to hear.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is brilliant news, and very encouraging for those who wonder if special schools are a step backwards - far from it.
    My eldest son is just a number at school, individual talents mean nothing (unless you're outstandingly good at rugby).
    I bet you can't wait for that concert.

    ReplyDelete
  7. How proud are you! That's such a heartwarming story. Sounds like a corner has been turned and Amy will be blossoming!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everyone deserves to orow a little when their chick starts to flap its wings! hehehe! Congrats Amy ♥

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulatins! I look forward to reading about it (vieo clip maybe?). Wonderful news.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome! Way to go, Amy! I'm so proud of her! Wish I could have seen/heard her myself.

    It sounds to me like this school was a very wise decision; she appears to be flourishing there. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  11. As you should be!! She's wonderful!!
    Congratulations To Miss Amy!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  12. I too am bursting with pride so can only imagine how much you are. Tell her a huge well done! from me will you and maybe you can record it for us to see on here afterwards? Love to you both and sorry about long absence. I get on here when I can and it's sometimes for only minutes xxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, that's wonderful! Will do wonders for her self-esteem. I don't think much to her old school - we used to involve every single child if they wanted to regardless of how they would perform on the night.Nobody cares if they get it wrong! I remember one lovely girl with downs who sang song all by herself to rapturous applause. All the kids had learned to sign the words aswell. Good move!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations to you and Amy XX I did write a longer comment but Blogger ate it :( Hope this one gets through.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awww that's wonderful. I'm so pleased for you both that things are working out well :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well done Amy - what a talented girl you are! Hope you are allowed to video the concert so we can all share!! x

    ReplyDelete
  17. A few of you have mentioned me recording the concert. If I can, I will, but I have a feeling it won't be allowed. However, I will record Amy playing her pieces on the piano for you at home.

    Thank you for your lovely comments, Amy has read them and she and I are truly grateful for your continuous support.

    CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think the sound of someone playing the piano is one of the most beautiful sounds ever. To hear your own child do that, must be amazing and you really must be bursting with pride. It certainy sounds like it. I would love to hear a clip of her playing. Let me know if she does requests! Kim x

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thats wonderful news for you all. Well done Amy.
    That school seems to be a good move. Who knows where it will all end!
    Maggie X

    Nuts in May

    ReplyDelete
  20. Well done Amy! That is wonderful!
    I'm so glad the special school has worked out. My experience teaching in one is that, reluctant though parents are to send their child there, it's often a special child's first opportunity to shine. I'm so glad this has been your experience, and long may it continue to be so.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your post reminded me of a wonderful drama teacher in my son James's high school. James is autistic and was in a special class in high school, but he was mainstreamed for certain classes. He liked to write plays, so he was in a drama class with a teacher who was so supportive, which encouraged all the students in the class to be supportive, too. It was a wonderful experience for him.

    Amy clearly is very talented. How wonderful that she has this opportunity. I know you are proud!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congraulations you must be so proud x

    ReplyDelete
  23. GREAT for AMY and You.

    Glad her Talent finally gets noticed.

    And

    Isn't it Grand to be a PROUD PARENT?
    One of the most Fantastic Feelings we parents can get... IMO :)

    You may not remember me, I have been sick off and on and haven't been as diligent as I should checking out the blogs I enjoy so I am getting back at it now.
    To remind you who I am I wrote a comment on a post you made about your Father and some of your thoughts, you immediately were at my site commenting on that and Thank You by the way following me.

    Danny
    Anything at Anytime

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's fantastic! How wonderful to see her talent shine at last.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What fantastic news. Amy you will shine for the star that you are and mum will totally embarrass you as she will be sat with her tissues crying. So glad to hear she is being a chance to show off her talent xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I try my best to reply to each one individually.