Monday, 22 October 2012

Are you sick of Cheeky Spam Comments?

Being on Blogger, the majority of spam and anonymous comments automatically go into a spam folder which is very convenient because it means my comment system isn't clogged up with crap. I get all comments, including anonymous ones, emailed to me directly as well as published on the blog so I have a record of them as they come through. I save them in a folder in Outlook Express. I know, probably a bit sad, but hey ho. It seems recently however, some comments are finding their way onto my comments page and they are quite obviously spam. Whether these are robotic comments or actually people advertising their website I have no idea, but it's not something I appreciate. It's very easy to delete a comment, granted, but it's so frustrating when people (or robots, I'm sure you'll let me know either way) manage to publish their irrelevant comment and include a link to their website which is guaranteed to have absolutely nothing to do with this blog. My comments are there for 'your' purpose, to talk to me, interact with me and give me your opinion. They are not there for cheeky spammers to promote their website. I never click on the links unless it's one that's been left just asking me to have a look at their blog, and that's most definitely something I will always do. But I'm talking about comments that are quite obviously spam and have no bearing on my post whatsoever.

The amount of spammers these days that seem to get through the comments system is ridiculous. I don't know how they do it and I'm not really interested, but yesterday in particular I deleted 49 anonymous comments from my inbox which were thankfully dumped in Blogger's spam folder, but which had been left on posts from a couple of years ago. Do these people think we'll be interested in reading their rubbish and will be stupid enough to click on their links? It's a problem anyone who uses online social media has to put up with but I wanted to ask, are you noticing an increase in spam comments and are you also noticing an increase in ones that find their way into a recent post's comments? Link or no link; some people need to reign themselves in and quit with the self-importance, assuming they're making a difference to someone's genuine and personal blog space. I like my comment system the way it is; it's user-friendly (to me at any rate) and I can reply/delete comments very easily. I also like to give everyone a chance to comment and when I say that, I mean friends (and perhaps family, Heaven forbid) who don't have a blog but have something to say so therefore prefer to use the 'anonymous' option. I'm not prepared to start monitoring and verifying comments just to stop the knob heads who obviously have no life.

18 comments:

  1. You are right, it is a pain in the butt. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spam comments drive me up the wall too, I don't get as many as you but they still do my nut in! I don't actually read what they're selling anymore I just check the name/email and you can tell if they're real or not so I spam them. I do have a spam catcher on Wordpress too that filters out a lot of them but the odd ones get through *sigh* I think it's something you have to live with

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've noticed an increase too (I'm also on Blogger). Most of them do get caught, but I still receive the e-mail notification and have to spend the time clicking through to the post in case they have posted. Many times people comment on a post and it seems like a genuine comment, but it is only written so that they can link to their site. This happens especially on older posts, for example I wrote one about moving house many months ago, which picks up comments from removal and storage companies (all US based). I usually go in and delete them. Fortunately I don't get as many as you do.

    I also like to give everyone the option to comment.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't have any spam but can see how it would be annoying. Perhaps the plus side to not being a popular blogger, long may it continue!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am lucky, I don't get many. When I do they come in waves, several at once then none for a few days. They are very annoying but luckily they get caught

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm on Blogger and have been getting a lot more recently too, drives me crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't get many spam comments but if I do I just delete them. I agree with you though they are annoying.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Its a pain but I just delete them - like you I want to keep the anonymous option open to readers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really don't get many at all but then again, my site isn't as large as yours. When I Do get one, I just delete it...
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't get many either. But it is annoying when proper comments get put in there by mistake as I rarely check my spam until I get enough to warrant checking.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I get loads but they are shunted to the spam folder on blogger. If one does get through I don't think the link functions in comments on blogger. I do have to delete them of course from my email notification. As I delete each one I say "Thank you for boosting my stats Mr. Russian." They seem to be mostly from Russia but I've had some from China and all over Asia. I am guessing this by where the little map of the world is green on the stats page. The English is hilarious. And the psychological ploys they use to try and get you to click on their websites.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Funnily enough we were discussing this on Twitter the other night! Blogger seems to have fallen prey to this 'link spamming' and it is pretty annoying. I probably get one or two a day and like you said, they post really strange comments with a random link on old posts. Do they think we won't notice?

    Now the spam box in my email keeps me seriously amused, if I am in need of a good laugh, I go and read some of those!

    ReplyDelete
  13. yes spam comments are getting more frequent its a real pain. Though I like the above comment reading some of the comments in spam make me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wordpress seems to be having less of a hard time than Blogger, at the moment. I do get spam comments, but 99% of them are caught before being posted. I couldn't handle getting an email for every comment left - if someone has been approved as a commenter before, it automatically posts the comment without need of approval. I hate the Captcha when leaving comments, but find it is essential to avoid spam, so will happily put up with it. Jo :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't get spam often but I do get emails inviting me to show my work in some obscure overseas art gallery or other - thankfully I am not so far up my own arse that I believe they could possibly be genuine. I find attempts at personal contact by weird men in foreign places trying to befriend me on the pretext of an interest in my painting or ramblings far more worrying! some might say 'lucky you' I suppose ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Mine are generally sent to the spam folder but a handful get through - i had loads last night. I'm not sure how they target certain people and they never seem relevant to my post. I try to delete them, particular the ones which attach their post 'how to avoid premature ejaculation'!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Change your settings to use capture on posts older than say 10 days, based on your post rate. That should stem them a little I think. See what happens if you do it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I try my best to reply to each one individually.