Thursday, 3 October 2013

Beat the Bulge

It's so lovely to see this blog coming back to life. Thank you for all the comments left recently. I know blog commenting isn't as popular these days and yes, I have come to terms with it. Took a while but I got there in the end. I think so many of us have limited time and a lot prefer to communicate on other social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter. I don't use any other channels to interact as I don't want to go back to spending far too long on the Internet and letting it take over my life. But I know we have to move with the times.

I've been getting acquainted with our local gym recently, and am actually enjoying my trips out there to do a short workout on the exercise bikes and the tredmill. For now, I'm simply building up my stamina and getting fit, rather than trying endlessly to burn calories and ending up not being able to move the next day. Been there, done that, never again. From now on, I'm taking it steady. I've got myself out of shape and I'm terribly unfit so it makes sense to do this sensibly. All these "lose a stone in a month" adverts we see on Facebook are just utter rubbish; and when I read about people popping slimming pills, well, my heart just sinks for them. It's either desperation or stupidity. Can't decide which. Our bodies can only take so much and if we've let ourselves go, like I have, it takes time to build up a level of fitness that we can live comfortably with. Eventually, the gym instructor will devise a fitness plan for me and I'll start on some basic weights to help me tone up. I'm not grossly overweight or anything, but I am starting to resemble the Michelin Man.

There are the usual people there in all their finery, running for Great Britain on the tredmill, hardly breaking into a sweat; the odd fellas pumping iron and doing those stretching exercises as though they're preparing to take on Geoff Capes; and then there's me, a fast walk on the tredmill with a slight incline, earplugs donned, TV on (they have posh machines with TVs built in). Once upon a time I'd have been embarrassed about being there amidst the leotards and muscles, but now I couldn't care less. I'm there for me, not them. I'm there to get fit and remain healthy as I approach mid-forties. And it's something I'm enjoying, too, which is something I never thought I'd say.

11 comments:

  1. Good for you. You'll find too that no matter how much you don't want to go to the gym or exercise, it actually makes you feel better afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go, you!

    I miss all that debate in the comments sections of blogs too! In many ways, it was my favourite bit of blogging in the early days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go with the whole exercise plan. Keeping healthy is so important.... says me who has been a shocker for the last 8 years! Funnily enough I have an appointment tomorrow afternoon at a local gym... to check it out and perhaps sign up for a few months! Great that you are enjoying it, hope I do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's all of social media that is feeling a let down. Just hang in there doing what you enjoy and people will get back to blogging again I think. It's such a nice form of communication when done right. I"ve been enjoying your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you, getting back into exercise is difficult when you've not properly exercised in a long time. It sounds like you are on the right track, by going to the gym little and often, to build that routine up. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done with the exercise plan. I have a gym membership but recently have only been using it to go to two Zumba classes per week, I've promised myself I'll start using the gym again for a couple of days too. I usually just use the exercise bike, treadmill and light weights for an hour altogether and find that's enough. Our gym has tvs on the machines too which is great because the time passes quicker when you're watching tv doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoying is the key! That means you'll hopefully be able to keep at it and get all the benefits xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do a couple of dance type exercise classes which I enjoy. I walk Bing everyday so this helps me stay active. I agree with the misleading adverts on FB - I followed the Slimming World regime and have been 26 weeks now in target. It took me over 2 years to do it but slow and steady all the way.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lordy I need to get walking more! A desk job is a killer!
    Proud of you!
    hughugs

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great you have had so much success in the gym, Crystal.
    I have lost 2 stones and 3.5 inches off my waste since I have started walking everywhere after the sad loss of my dear wife Maria in April. I've written a poem at my place which is available only if you bring a box of tissues - the coffee or tea you will find in the usual place.

    Incidentally I still need to lose about another stone.
    I've got a part time job driving a Dial-A-Ride minibus and I LOVE it.
    Hugs ~ Eddie x

    ReplyDelete
  11. You seem to be taking it at a steady pace that is long term and sustainable which is commendable. GO YOU!!! Liska xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I try my best to reply to each one individually.