Friday, 29 November 2013

Social Media Snobbery

Some folk so need to get over themselves, don't you think? They must look in the mirror every day and think, "God you're amazing. Get out there and run down anyone you don't agree with, because that's what it's all about. Belittling others in front of their friends." There are some truly awful people out there; rude and bad mannered, unable to voice an opinion without sounding patronising and derogatory, and the minute anyone says something they don't like, wham! We don't all agree with each other. And why the hell should we? We're individuals. We have a mind of our own, and we're all entitled to use it, in whatever way we see fit. If that means my opinion doesn't match yours, then so what? Does it really matter? Is it really necessary to put someone down for voicing their thoughts?

No, it isn't necessary. It's actually pretty childish. Not to mention particularly rude.

But you see, there are some people on this earth who think they are better than others. They assume because they have a good education and a few letters after their name, because they've achieved something they deem intellectual, that gives them a right to speak to other people like lesser beings. It's a class thing. A ladder of importance.

How often does someone disagree with you? Once a week? Once a day? Several times a day? I have some pretty whacky views on life - and death, but that's a whole other issue - and, just like everyone else who uses social media, I have found a voice through a computer screen that I actually quite like to use. I don't have many friends in real life - and my family live a long way away - so I have most of my conversations on Facebook, my blog and occasionally on Twitter. I'm grateful for social media because it's opened doors for me, doors that would have remained closed had I not have become involved with the age of technology. Okay, so technology is probably a little optimistic for me due to my incredibly poor technical skills, and I do get fed up with social media from time to time, like when someone thinks it's okay to put me down and speak to me like shit off a shovel, but on the whole I have a different life to the one I led before the Internet. Don't we all?

So no, it isn't okay to belittle others in front of people; it isn't okay to make every comment on someone's Facebook status sound like a snipe or a bitch or a put-down. I let it pass far too often, and then last night, after one too many reasons why I shouldn't keep this person as a Facebook friend, I caved, removed the comment and went to hit the block button.

And guess what? They beat me to it. So they spend eight months being rude to me, then block me in the end. Eight months spent disagreeing with someone, disliking someone, probably head shaking, tutting and sighing into oblivion, then wham-bam-thank-you-mam. I didn't even get the pleasure of blocking the stupid person myself. Some you win, some you lose. I don't wish to be nice all the time. And when I voice an opinion on Social Media, I really don't mind if you disagree with me, because a) I love a good debate, and b) agreeing with everything everyone says is actually quite boring. And I'd like to think the majority of my friends on Social Media are old enough and ugly enough to have an opinion of their own, and voice it. Just like me. Preferably without the sniping and being a total arsewipe.

I've popped this post on Mummy Barrow's Ranty Friday.


17 comments:

  1. Love a good rant, especially when I agree with it!! Or should I disagree?? Lol!! Nope, you are correct. Too many people have no idea how to use social media correctly. Would they have an argument face to face and then thump someone because they disagreed?? No. Yet they do the equivalent on social media sites. Why? Because they can hide behind a keyboard. Not only are they arsewipes but they are cowards too. It obviously gives them some sort of validation on life. Sad really!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can agree or disagree, flower, I'm not bothered. It think it's sad too. Apparently, not everyone is like me, according to this lovely person, which I'm very glad about. Why would anyone want to be a sheep shit stinking, dog-haired covered crap cook with a brain the size of a pea and the moods to match a Victor Meldrew character on a mission. Beats me.

      Delete
  2. I am so with you on this one. SO with you. WE are all entitled to our opinions and it is healthy that those opinions differ. Let's chat about them and why we both think the way we do. Let's even argue it. But let's do that with a healthy dollop of respect for each other as fellow human beings.

    Social media often brings out the worst in people and it means I don't like it. And when I fall out of love with Twitter it makes me sad.

    But really people need to get a grip and stop being so damned mean.

    Well said that woman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I've learnt such a lot through social media. I can ask a question, have my own thoughts on the subject then be swayed to think differently. THAT'S what life is all about - learning and finding new ways to deal with things; having our eyes opened to different opinions.

      Delete
  3. I think that people who feel the need to do this on a regular basis and both cowardly (as they usually do it from behind a computer screen) and have pretty low self-esteem. It's a fact that people who go around belittling others are doing it to make themselves feel/look better. In fact the problem is it does the opposite and they end up with few friends around them. Just sad really.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, well I'd actually cut this person out of my regular time line list on FB ages ago because of her constant sniping, then I put her back in. It was either that or just unfriend her. But last night's comment just went too far.

      Delete
  4. I think with people like that it's something to do with the way they've been dragged up! x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think this is one of the many reasons I hate social media, particularly Facebook, even though I also love it and use it a lot. People act in ways that I am pretty damn sure they wouldn't be brave enough to in real life! :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we see it all the time don't we. Makes folk look ridiculous and not at all nice.

      Delete
  6. At least that person is gone from your Facebook stream but too bad you didn't get to block her first! Or him, whoever. Sometimes I do get tired of social media but usually it's from a different kind of snobbery than you mention in this post-- what makes me want to quit is bragging. Bragging how much money they've made self-publishing, bragging how cute their kids are, bragging how much their husband loves them because of what he did on Valentine's Day, Mother's Day or whatever. I get very tired of the one upmanship that shows up, especially on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have a few of those types in my timeline as well. The world seems very me, me, me these days.

      Delete
  7. I so agree with you. Disagreeing is one thing - with an intelligent and sensitive approach - we're all entitled to opinions. But trying to put someone down is another. And I feel so strongly that if someone hasn't got the guts to stand by what they say on the web with their own name, they should be posting it! And I believe social media is not about point scoring - it's about community and those who use it to do others down are polluting what is a wonderful opportunity to connect and share! Best ignored! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally. I felt that this incident in particular was very much point scoring, especially by the tone of the words. It was said as though the person was disgusted with what I'd said which was pretty pathetic in itself as I was simple voicing an opinion and not asking everyone to agree with me. But like I said, it wasn't the first time they'd belittled me in public, in front of my friends.

      Delete
  8. I know that we don't agree on some things, but I've always believed that it is my opinion you don't like, not me or my blog. And that's the way it should be. As you say, the world would be a boring place if we all agreed on everything :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loving this post. I've found your blog today via ranty Friday.i too see the internet as lots of open doors. I'm shy and bad at face to face meetings, most of my friends are because of the internet. I even met my blokey via tinterweb. And yes, i realllllly wish people could learn to *debate* not argue.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. I try my best to reply to each one individually.